Fascinating Fungi with Liz Holden
Availability: Only 3 places available
Dates: 08 Sep - 15 Sep 2018
Full cost: £1,495 per person, Fully inclusive. No single supplement.
Deposit required now: £250 per personBook Now ...
Fungi are fascinating – by turns they are colourful, deadly, delicious, predatory, vital to ecosystems, luminous, rare, ubiquitous and laden with folklore associations. Their life-cycles are varied and extraordinary and we are only just beginning to understand the importance of mycorrhizal associations (symbiosis between plants and fungi) in the creation and maintenance of our treasured eco-systems.
Join Liz Holden, one of Scotland’s leading fungus experts, on a week of discovery of the superb array of fungi of the Scottish Highlands with well over 150 species discovered in the Aigas area. Some of these were extremely rare – one only recorded in Scotland six times previously!
- Field discovery of fungi in a range of Highland habitats including Caledonian pine forest and broad-leaf woodland.
- Guidance on field identification.
- Indoor workshops covering further identification assistance with the use of simple keys, microscopy techniques and the taking of spore prints.
- Illustrated talks by Liz on a range of fungus related subjects.
- Fungal foray followed by preparation of edible fungi for eating.
- Aigas wildlife highlights, including visits to our pine marten and badger hides.
For this programme the group size limited to eleven people.
08 Sep - 15 Sep 2018 Book Now ...