Every week our guests comment on Lady Lucy’s delicious soups – so we have decided to share a few secret recipes with you!
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 8 rashers of bacon, cut into 1″ (2.5cm) bits
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 12 oz – 1lb (350-450g) white cabbage, cut into thin strips
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
- ½ pint (300g) red wine
- 2 15oz (450g) tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 pints (1.1l) chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of dried basil
- 7oz (200g) tin of baked beans
- grated parmesan cheese
In a large saucepan heat the oil. Add the chopped onion and bacon, and cook gently for several minutes until the onion is soft and transparent, stirring from time to time. The add the garlic, the shredded cabbage, the diced carrots, celery and potatoes, and cook for a further few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the red wine, tomatoes, stock, seasoning, sugar and basil. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover with a tightly fitting lid, and cook on a low heat for about one hour.
Remove the pan from the heat, cool thoroughly, add the contents of the tin of baked beans. This soup is suitable for freezing. To serve, generously sprinkle with grated parmesan.